Monday, April 27, 2015

Tidbits

Food At Work: It must be universal that the workplace always has food. In the states, it's the ubiquitous box of donuts or a homemade baked good (which no one ever asks where it came from, who made it, or what exactly it is, though it's always gone by lunchtime). Here in Seoul, I am given food at work more days than not. And there's always a very specific reason, more so than just wanting to get a half-eaten sheet cake out of your house. For example, someone brought in snacks for everyone when her dad died; someone else passed out bananas after being named salesperson of the month; the president ordered cakes* and juice boxes for everyone when a new publication was launched; and I'm still not sure why we ate croissants one day.
*"Cake" is used in the loosest sense here. Also, these are not chocolate flakes, but dried bean curd flakes. I learned this the hard way.
 
 
 
Practically A Man: Last month, Leo started preschool on the base where we live. He loves it, especially snack time. He is apparently the first to collect his plate and cup and be seated at the table to be served. One of his teachers took this cute picture of him playing. So sweet, but I think the caption may actually be making fun of me, as I called repeatedly during his first week to make sure he was adjusting well, not biting anyone, knew that I missed him, knew that I was coming to pick him up soon, etc.
 



Subway Gawking: I love riding the subway for the people-watching opportunities. On my way into work in the mornings, which is around 7:15 a.m., many riders often smell, well, boozy. However, this makes them sleepy and allows me to stare, and sometimes take a picture. This guy's hat reads, "Bring on Fabulous." Awesome.



Summertime: The eight days or so were great, but now spring is apparently over. Either way, the warm weather is wonderful and we love being outside more.



 

 

Hello, Kitty: Although she's technically from Japan, Hello Kitty is super popular here. Much to Eri's delight, we ventured to Seoul's Hello Kitty Cafe one morning.









Awe, It's True! We do love it here. So far, so good in Seoul.


No comments:

Post a Comment